Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas In Viet Nam

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" -Percy Bysshe Shelly, Ode to the West Wind.

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart and very next day you gave it away"... Music makes the time go faster and people are more excited about Christmas this year. Yes, Christmas is coming, the high shopping season is here. Hanoi is a city in which young people are crazy about fashion.

The piercing cold is giving them a chance to dress up. Living standards are improving and prices are up but shops have signs advertising sales or 30% off. There are lots of restaurant promotions for Christmas day and night. The last two years, we've always chosen Al Fresco's for acceptable food, friendly staff and free flow beer and wine for a good price. We arrived there at about 11.30am and finished our Christmas day at 8 or 9pm and everyone got drunk and had a great time. We may come back to this restaurant if they have the same deal as usual. Besides that, there are heaps of options to choose from, including hotels and restaurants but the price is a bit out of our range.

At the beginning of December, there are ads about Christmas everywhere, in front of hotels and shops. I love doing decorating so I went to the old quarter and did some shopping and will put it all up tomorrow.

I don't follow any religion but I am happy to go to the church for special events, go to the pagoda for Buddha's birthday and listen to the chanting or prayers.

6 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

Merry Xmas and chuc mung nam moi em oi!

shaz said...

Hey vietgod,
merry christmas to you.
take a look at my christmas dinner menu - im sure you'll find it appetising. enjoy the hols!

layered said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas, and I wish for you a Happy New Year. I appreciate your showing us how western customs are observed in Việt Nam also. I think Vietnamese enjoy these customs because they provide additional opportunities for family gatherings and festivities. My friends and family have been asking me about Christmas in Vietnam, so I hope you don't mind that I linked back to your posting to see the answer.
-- Mel

Van Cong Tu said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. I hope you guys have a great time.Thanks all.

Vietnam travel company said...

I like Merry Christmas in Vietnam

Vietnam travel agency said...

I like your post.