Thursday, March 23, 2006

Green Papaya Salad

Green papaya and prawn salad

Green papaya salad is one of Vietnam's favorite salads which is not very difficult to make. This dish is really colourful, tasty and healthy - good for vegetarians as well.

Ingredients:

Green Papaya: 300g
Red chili: 4 chili
Coriander: 10g
Vietnamese mint(Rau răm): 10g
Peanut: 30g
Prawns: 100g
Fish sauce: 1 teaspoon
Sugar: 2 teaspoons
Lemon: 1 lemon
Garlic: 10g

How to make:
Prawns: peel off the hard shell & the black line (poo tube!) on their backs, wash then drain well. Wash Rau ram thorougly; drain well also, then chop finely. Cut red chili into thin small slices. - Coriander: wash; drain.

Dressing: Squeeze lemon for juice. Put fish sauce, sugar, lemon juice, garlic and chili in a large mixing bowl; put 2 spoonfuls of water in, then stir well. Mix green papaya, Vietnamese mint, peanuts and chili together; add coriander and prawns near the top. Pour dressing over the top.

11 comments:

junebee said...

Sounds outstanding. I wonder if I can buy green papaya in Florida.

Preya said...

I don't even know what to say about this because my mouth is watering Tu! Du du xanh, right? It's one of my favorite things in the whole world:) I could live on it!

GoingGlobal said...

Love it, Love it!!!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Makes my mouth water. Thanks. I've added this to my list.

black feline said...

my favorite..papaya salad...also like the thai version...green mango salad....your blog is back?

Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

One of my favourite dishes too!

Thanks for the recipe and the wonderful pics!

Take care.

krisTi said...

mMmmMmmm.......

Chen said...

couldn't assess your blog for the past few days. Glad to know u r back :)

This dish is one of my favourites too :)

FooDcrazEE said...

dont really miss green papaya salad but i really miss the LOTUS STEM salad.....

Vagabonder said...

I love green papaya salad so much, especially the cheap ones that we can find on street, that is served with dried beef, and the killing chilly sauce ;-). I tried the Thai papaya salad (not in Thailand though), and still prefer Vnese one.

Remind me of my students day ;-)

Van Cong Tu said...

Hi, Thanks for your comments, This is a very popular dish in Viet Nam and you can make it at home easily. You can make it with dried beef or somethings else instead of prawns as well. Good luck and enjoy!!!