Sunday, January 24, 2010

Frog Dishes

Baby Frogs

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned my tennis club before but I play tennis with 5 mates who are all slightly older than me and have really good taste in food and drink. Maybe I can say that they are a bit fussy about the kinds of alcohol they drink but they try all kinds of food and we rely on Mr Son, our food leader, to recommend places for us to eat. A few weeks ago, Mr Thang, another member of our club found a new place at 15 Long Bien street in Gia Lam where great frog dishes are sold. To be honest, I am not keen on frog and wild animals at all but he talked about it heaps and I think I need to give it a go and see.

Frog skins

We went there on a cold day and as usual, our group always orders far too much , enough for 10 people rather than just the 5 of us. Anyway, we ordered deep fried frog skin, deep fried Chau Chuoc (stir fried frog with bamboo shoot), a deep fried rice(com chay), a frog hot pot, and a whole boiled chicken and some veggies. I was very impressed with Chau Chuoc, and quite surprised that frogs are a meatier animal than I thought. These dishes were really yummy and those frog legs had lots of meat. Of course, we couldn't finish all these dishes. Surprisingly the bill was very cheap. I would recommend this place not because it's cheap, because they serve really nice food and have friendly staff. I am sure I will go back sometime soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The frog skin photo doesn't impressed me much but I wouldn't mind to try. Thanks for sharing. Toan- Hanoi

Anonymous said...

The first photo looks very interesting but the second one turn me off a bit. I don't think I dare to taste that skin even though it should taste delicious. Very interesting post about frog dishes.
Marie

schiehallion said...

Sorry frog dishes are a no go. I expected you to be more diligent about your restraurant selection. Disappointed :-(

foodhoe said...

I've had a frog a few times, but mostly braised or stewed and found it to be bland and rubbery. That first fried dish looked kinda yummy to me (the second looked a bit burnt)...

Anonymous said...

I love frog dishes. In hanoi, there are many singapore restaurants sell frog porridge, frog hot pot and different dishes. Yummy dish. Thanks for sharing a new destination.
Hoang

Anonymous said...

God - you're making me very hungry. Love frogs!

www.pcwebsite.net said...

Gosh, there is a great deal of effective info here!